The Department of Biotechnology, started in the year 2005, grew into School of Biotechnology in the year 2007 and evolved into the School of Biotechnology and Health Sciences in the year 2009. The objective of the Department is to provide excellent teaching, practical facilities, research facilities and consultancy services in the frontier areas of Biotechnology.
To raise holistic and value based bio-technocrats and entrepreneurs who develop processes and products for the betterment of the community and environment.
To raise students with academic excellence, professional competence with good ethics.
To find solutions to human problems in areas relating to Water, Food, Health Care and Energy through scientific, social and technological research.
Graduates will have ability to:
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering to solve the problems related to biotechnology.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate and analyze the complex problem in biotechnology and provide appropriate conclusions using principles of engineering & sciences
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex bio-based problems and design process that address the specified needs for the public health, safety and environmental considerations
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Design experiments, analyze, interpret data and synthesize information using knowledge based research tools to arrive at valid conclusions
- Modern tool usage: Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, software resources and modern engineering tools for prediction and modeling of complex engineering and biotechnology problems in different fields to understand the limitations
- The engineer and society: Rational use of contextual knowledge to asses societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice and modern biotechnological research and development
- Environment and sustainability: Understand and exhibit the knowledge vital for sustainable development in societal and environmental contexts using the professional engineering and biotechnology solutions.
- Ethics: Inculcate ethical principles to imbibe professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice and biotechnology research
- Individual and team work:Function effectively as an individual, member or leader of diverse teams in multidisciplinary settings
- Communication: Effectively communicate with engineering community on activities relevant to society at large and comprehend reports & documentation, make effective presentations and exchange clear instructions
- Project management and finance: Create competency in engineering management and finance principles and apply these to one’s own work and multidisciplinary team environments
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for independent and life-long learning experience for a lucrative professional career
Testimonies by our Alumni
Internships done Abroad by Our Students
We at the Department of Biotechnology aspire to establish a system of Quality Assurance, which would on a continuous basis evaluate and monitor the quality of education and training imparted at this University, improve the teaching learning process and ultimately develop the Department into a Centre of Excellence.
Received “Best Department award” from 2009 onwards
News and Events
PAFHEE’-2019 on 7 & 8th March, 2019 National Conference on Prospects of Algae in Food, Environment and Energy
Hands on Training on Designing and Construction of Salt Bridge Microbial Fuel Cell
Department of Biotechnology,
Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences,
Coimbatore - 641114